Random Thoughts

Hey, You Have Broccoli in Your Teeth!

Yes, I am the person who will tell you when you have something in your teeth.  If you are my friend, likewise, you better tell me.  I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gone out to dinner and then excused myself to the restroom only to find a piece of food stuck in one of my teeth and NO ONE at the table said a flipping word about it.  Although, this does make me wonder about how I chew my food.  Hmmmmm food for thought, literally.

It’s the same when I go shopping, please do not tell me I look good in something if I don’t.  This helps no one in life.  If I try on a dress and it looks like shit, SAY SOMETHING.  Because I don’t want to wear something that makes it look like I should be wearing a girdle.  I don’t want to wear a girdle.  Wait, does Spanx count as a girdle?  I love my Spanx.  They are an incredible invention.  Smooths shit away that even a gym can’t handle.  Not that I know what a gym can handle.  Hahahaha.  What’s a gym?

I am thankful for the fact that I have surrounded myself with people who are honest with me, sometimes brutally so (Brook & Mom) yeah I’m calling you both out.  This was not always the case.  There have been times in life that I have not made the greatest friend choices.  I chalk it up to being young and dumb.  Lessons learned.  Now, my friend choices are way more picky, and a lot less of them.  I remember as a kid when my mom would say if you can count your true friends on one hand count yourself lucky.  I’m pretty sure she did not come up with this on her own but it is solid advice.  I would rather have 3 friends I can count on for anything than 50 surface friends.

I have reached that spot in life that surface friends are fine but I would rather invest my time into people that I love.  I have a handful of those people in my life so I guess I can count myself lucky.   Cultivating those relationships is way more gratifying than trying to milk wine from a cow.  Yeah, I changed that phrase to suit my personality. Lol.  I always have to mention wine…

One of my favorite movies is Why did I get Married?, they talk about the 80/20 rule.   Now, it’s Hollywood so of course they distort it a little bit.  But essentially the 80/20 rule otherwise known as the Pareto Principle, is this: for many events, roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes.  This rule was first applied to business but reaches into all of life.  In the movie they reference it with relationships where in most cases, you will only get 80% of what you NEED and you will hardly get the other 20% that you WANT in your relationship. There is always another person (man or women) that you will meet and that will offer you the other 20% which is lacking in your relationship that you WANT. And believe me, 20% looks really good when you are not getting it at all in your current relationship. But if you grab that 20% you will lose the 80%. Point being no one is 100% of what you need.

I’m lucky in the fact I found my 80% in my best friend.  She is an amazing person that I will always have in my life.  No, not as a partner but as a comrade, cheerleader and backup when something goes down. You know, help you hide a body, friend.  She calls me on my shit, makes me laugh so hard I pee myself (just a little) and tells me when I have broccoli in my teeth.  I know you were wondering how I’d bring it back to broccoli…


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s